Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sixty million little girls

My daughter gave many statistics on the abuse of women and children, some of which I was already familiar with (I, too, have been a statistic), but this is the one that shocked me, somehow to the core:

"At least 60 million girls who would otherwise be expected to be alive are 'missing' from various populations, mostly in Asia, as a result of sex selective abortions, infanticide or neglect"

even their own parents thought their lives of no value, because they were female!
Sixty million little girls (the majority from India and China)!!

I could rave about this, and its implications, but the facts speak far more loudly than anything I could say.

On earth they have no memorial
Their bones flung forgotten
And who will grieve for them?

The smallest and the least,
Not treasured but despised
Their very breath begrudged
And taken from them.

And the very dust must weep!

I will build this cairn of words
Seeking to honour
The nameless millions
Never wanted
And not allowed to live.

I will give to you the tribute of my distant tears.

I will pray for the righting of wrongs
And that judgement and mercy
Met in my crucified God
Are met for you
Somewhere beyond this dust.

No comments: