Thursday, March 06, 2014

Lent 1 -- on Psalm 51

for Lent this year I want to do something a little different.

 When possible, i want to write a short poem or meditation 

in response to one of the lectionary readings. We'll see how 

many I manage!

The first one is on Psalm 51

Baring his soul, the bent king bares us all
Here is the Lenten journey to our need:
The cold, bare hunger at the heart of me.

Scrabbling on barren hillsides desperately
The broken thing inside me grabs and grabs,
Breaks and is broken, bitterly to fall.

You are my God, still, in the empty place,
As you were, (ah, so gloriously!) his
I, as an after-echo, mouth his song.

You do not leave me on that empty hill;
You trod (my God!) you trod those broken stones
And You will gather up my broken bones.

I am re-fashioned, and re-fashioned still,
Until you have laid bare my deep-hid heart
And into deepest joy drowned every part.

No comments: