Sunday, March 20, 2016

For Good Friday

As the bird shelters nestlings
In the shadow of its wing
Whatever storm may rage,
So you have sheltered me
In the shadow of the cross
And the worst has not come nigh me.

Sometimes I almost sense
The thud of hammer strokes,
Unimaginable tear of flesh,
The scream of worlds unmaking,
And I turn my head away
That the worst may not come nigh me.

Sometimes I almost sense
The blood-lust of the crowd
(It is not so far away)
Where justice bends to evil
And the social contract shreds:
May the worst still not come nigh me!

Sometimes I almost sense
The bright, clean light depart,
Dark where dark should not be
Swallowing friendly stars,
With death’s entirety
And the worst has not come nigh me.

Sometimes I almost sense
The mockery that kills,
The laughter born in hell
That splinters like cruel glass
And stabs with poisoned stroke,
But the worst has not come nigh me.
………………………………………………………….
I climb again that hill
Standing aloof from time
Trying to face those wounds
Which should have all been mine.
I cannot hold them fast,
No longer mine to bear,
All that I see is love,
Love that is everywhere.
All that I see is you,
Welcome upon your face,
Under that crown of thorns
Shines such transcendent grace,
No portioning of blame,
No tallying of sin,
Only your arms stretched wide
To take a whole world in.

No comments: